As a recipient of the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance you will automatically receive Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) exemption.
When your Motability car is delivered it will already be taxed for the first year. For the following two years of your contract, on the 20th of the month before your tax disc expires we will automatically send your new tax disc to you in the post. Remember to let us know if you change your address by updating your details.
If you receive a Vehicle Licence Application (V11) directly from the DVLA, this is a good indication that we have not been able to tax your car for some reason, please call our Customer Services team on 0845 456 4566.
If you live in Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man, you are responsible for renewing your tax each year of your agreement.
Taking your car abroad
- You can take your Scheme car abroad within the European Union and to Croatia, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein free of charge for up to 90 days in any 12-month period
- You do not need a Green Card for these countries, but you should take your Certificate of Motor Insurance
- For other countries not listed, please contact RSAM at least three weeks in advance of your journey. RSAM will consider your request and there may be an additional charge
- For all foreign travel, you will need a VE103 (Vehicle on Hire form) to be issued to you. Please call 0800 731 3310 to request a form, at least three weeks before you depart. The certificate will cover you for 12 months
- You should have European breakdown cover for foreign travel, otherwise you could be responsible for any recovery charges. See Driving in Europe section on page 26
- If you need to contact RSAM while abroad, please telephone +44 (0)151 240 2894
Cover for legal expenses is not available while abroad.